1. What kind of interaction would the video require from your students? Does it force them to respond in some way (inherent)? 

• The video I have chosen requires my learner to listen and think. The video asks the learner reflective questions throughout the video but is not inherently active – it does not require a response from the learner to continue their learning. I would describe the interaction as a user-generated interaction (Bates, 2019). Throughout the video, the narrator asks questions and refers to situations, allowing the viewer to voluntarily interact with the video cognitively by reflecting on their past experiences. 

1. What activity could you suggest that they do after they have watched the video (designed)? What type of knowledge or skill would that activity help develop? What medium or technology would students use to do the activity? 

• In our Interactive Learning Design, the goal is for our learners to learn how to use the Circle of Courage Theory in their classrooms. After watching the video, I would have the learners break into groups of four and create a medicine wheel on Jam Board. In each quadrant of the medicine wheel, I would have them write one of the four parts of the Circle of Courage: belonging, independence, generosity, and mastery. In each quadrant, I would have them list ways to bring that trait into their classroom and raise resilient students. When finished, the students would send the Jam Board to the teacher. This activity would allow them to interact with each other, hear others’ ideas, and build upon them. This activity would also be done at the beginning of the Interactive Learning Design in order to access students’ prior knowledge of teaching in a classroom and how it would connect to the information they learned from the video. 

1. How would students get feedback on the activity that you set? What medium or technology would they and/or you use for getting and giving feedback on their activity? 

• I would provide three forms of feedback for this activity. First, I would have the students provide me with peer feedback to find out how each member contributed to the assignment. Next, I would have the students show their medicine wheels to the class and have each student comment on another group’s medicine wheel, providing one piece of positive feedback and one suggestion of something they could add to their medicine wheel. This would promote collaboration and allow students to hear others’ ideas and thoughts. Lastly, I would provide positive and critical feedback to each group. The assignment would not be marked based on content because it is an activity meant for accessing prior knowledge, but instead, students would be marked for participation in all aspects of the assignment: the creation, peer feedback, and group comment feedback. I would use a blog space like WordPress to allow students to interact with one another’s work, and I would email out surveys for peer feedback. In addition, I would also email out my own personal feedback to each group.  

1. How could the video have been designed to generate more or better activity from viewers or students? 

• I believe the video could have been designed with set stopping points. At these points, the students would be asked questions similar to the questions already asked in the video but, in addition, there would also be simple activities for the students to complete, ones that require them to think critically and reflect on knowledge they already have, as well as knowledge they gained from the video. For example, the video could stop after it discusses how out-of-school suspension does not promote belonging or resilient students and ask the participants to list alternatives to out-of-school suspension and how these can promote belonging in students. The questions could also be discussed in groups during the next class, promoting the students’ participation in the activities.  

Bates, T. (2019, October 10). 9.6 interaction. Teaching in a Digital Age Second Edition. https://pressbooks.bccampus.ca/teachinginadigitalagev2/chapter/pedagogical-roles-for-text-audio-and-video/ 

YouTube. (2015). First Nations Principles of Learning. YouTube. Retrieved July 9, 2023, from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PgrfCVCt_A.